New Zealand : 40 Killed in Mosques Shooting



Forty people were killed in shootings at two mosques in central Christchurch, New Zealand, on Friday, in what Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern labeled “a terrorist attack.”

Officials said that four people were in custody, and that a number of explosive devices were found attached to vehicles that they had stopped.

A Muslim leader in New Zealand said the attack was especially shocking as it took place during midday Friday prayers. The police called on mosques nationally to “shut their doors” and urged people to stay away from the mosques until further notice.

A video and manifesto that appeared to be by a gunman involved in the shooting were posted online on the day of the attack.

Shots were fired at Al Noor Mosque on Deans Avenue near Hagley Park in the center of the city, and at Linwood Mosque, about three miles away, the police said.

Ms. Ardern said in a news conference that 30 people had been killed at Al Noor Mosque and that 10 others had died at Linwood Mosque.

David Meates, the chairman of the Canterbury District Health Board, said that 48 people were being treated for gunshot wounds at Christchurch Hospital, and that others with gunshot wounds were being treated at other health care facilities in the city.

The police said that four people, including three men and one woman, had been taken into custody. Prime Minister Scott Morrison of Australia said that one of them was Australian.

0/Post a Comment/Comments

Previous Post Next Post